Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
|8 Tbsp. (1 stick, 4 ounces) unsalted butter|
|1 cup (7 ounces) granulated sugar|
|1 large egg|
|1/2 tsp. nutmeg|
|1/2 tsp. allspice|
|2 medium size ripe bananas, mashed (about 3/4 cup, 5-1/2 ounces)|
|1/3 cup(2-3/4 ounces) milk|
|1 cup (5 ounces) white whole wheat flour or traditional whole wheat flour
|1 cup (4 1/4 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour)|
|1 1/2 tsp. baking powder|
|1/2 tsp. baking soda|
|1/2 tsp. salt|
|3/4 cup (4-1/2 ounces) chocolate chips|
|1 cup (4 ounces) walnuts, chopped|
Substitute the following:
| 1/2 cup canola oil for butter|
| use three bananas|
| cut sugar down to 2/3 to 3/4 cup|
| use 2/3 cup low fat yogurt (plain or vanilla) instead
| use all whole wheat flour|
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until they're
- Scrape the bowl down, then beat in the egg, spices, banana, and milk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients, then gently stir
them into the butter-sugar mixture.
- Spoon the batter into 12 lightly greased muffin cups.
- Bake the muffins for 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted in the
center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, and after 10 minutes turn them out of the pan to
Makes: 12 muffins
Prep: 5 minutes
Bake: 20 minutes
Nutrient value per serving (1 muffin, 103g.)
358 calories, 18 g. of fat, 6g. protein, 21g. carbohydrate, 23g. sugar, 3 g.
fiber, 224mg. Sodium, 42mg. cholesterol, 223mg. Potassium, 95RE vitamin E, 2mg.
vitamin C, 1mg. iron, 76mg. Calcium, 143mg. Phosphorous, 2mg. caffeine.
Based on a recipe from The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion, The
All-Purpose Baking Cookbook, 2003, p.65